Respiratory Therapists assess, treat, and care for patients with breathing disorders. Assume primary responsibility for all respiratory care modalities, including the supervision of respiratory therapy technicians. Initiate and conduct therapeutic procedures; maintain patient records; and select, assemble, check, and operate equipment. May be responsible for providing emergency care, such as artificial respiration, external cardiac massage, or assistance with cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
WHAT SKILLS & TRAINING ARE NEEDED?
- Speaking — Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring — Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Active Learning — Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Respiratory Therapists require an Associate’s degree or higher. Some post-secondary certifications are avaliable to enter into the field.
HOW DO I KNOW IF THIS IS A GOOD FIT FOR ME?
- You like to implement advanced life support techniques.
- You like to treat medical emergencies.
- You like to monitor patient conditions during treatments, procedures, or activities.
WHERE CAN I PURSUE ALIGNED TRAINING?
Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Respiratory Therapist, Cardiopulmonary Technician and EEG Tech (Cardiopulmonary Technician and Electroencephalogram Technician), Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT), Clinical Coordinator of Respiratory Therapy, Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT), Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP), Respiratory Therapist (RT), Respiratory Therapy Director, Staff Respiratory Therapist, Staff Therapist