Fundraisers organize activities to raise funds or otherwise solicit and gather monetary donations or other gifts for an organization by identifying and building relationships with potential donors. May design and produce promotional materials needed to secure commitments of participation or donation from individuals or corporate donors. May also raise awareness of the organization’s work, goals, and financial needs.
WHAT SKILLS & TRAINING ARE NEEDED?
- Speaking — Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing — Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Persuasion — Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Fundraisers usually requires a four-year bachelor’s degree, but some only require associates degree or specialized certification.
HOW DO I KNOW IF THIS IS A GOOD FIT FOR ME?
- You like to develop business relationships.
- You like to develop financial or business plans.
- You like to develop business and marketing strategies.
WHERE CAN I PURSUE ALIGNED TRAINING?
Development Director; Direct Response Consultant; Director of Development; Executive Director of Development and Alumni Relations; Executive Director of Development, Gift Planning; Fundraising Consultant; Principal Gifts Officer; Vice President for Philanthropy; Vice President of Major Gifts and Planned Giving; Vice President, Marketing & Development