digital media graphic design designer designing drawing visual sketching
Graphic designers create visual concepts, using computer software or by hand, to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, and captivate consumers. They develop the overall layout and production design for various applications such as advertisements, brochures, magazines, and corporate reports. Key duties include: using digital illustration, photo editing software, and layout software to create designs, creating visual elements such as logos, original images, and illustrations that help deliver a message, and presenting design concepts to clients or art directors.
WHAT SKILLS & TRAINING ARE NEEDED?
- Artistic and Creative: Graphic designers need to be able to create unique designs that are artistically interesting.
- Time-management: Graphic designers should be able to work on multiple projects at the same time with deadlines.
- Communication: Graphic designers should be able to communicate with clients, customers, and other designers.
- Technical: Graphic designers should have experience with specialized graphic design software (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite)
High school students interested in graphic design should take basic art and design courses in high school, if the courses are available. Graphic designers must keep up with new and updated computer graphics and design software, either on their own or through formal software training programs.
HOW DO I KNOW IF THIS IS A GOOD FIT FOR ME?
- You like to draw, paint or take photographs.
- You are creative and good with computers.
- You enjoy working on a team.
WHERE CAN I PURSUE ALIGNED TRAINING?